Friday, December 18, 2009

Revive the Spirit

I had a good day with devotion on intercession and a heart for God. My wife and I went to a park and hiked. I took the above picture. But after the hike I did not seem to be active spiritually. Though I did watch a youtube video on George Muller. And the day before I listened to an mp3 sermon on James Hudson Taylor.

So it was 2 days in a row that I watched and listened about men who lived by faith and not by direct income. Not there is something wrong with working for a living. We are told to do that in the Bible. Ephesians 5:18; 2 Thessalonians 3:10

But I want to live by faith in what I do. These 2 men went through testing as they lived by faith. So I went over the list of verses I had written in my Bible on testing. I came to getting drunk is dissipation. Ephesians 5:18 I went to the dictionary because dissipation is not a word I would use. Dissipation is a waste. When we do something that is a waste we are quenching the Spirit of God.

Watching football was what I did last night. I don't think watching football is a sin. I don't think hobbies or activities for fun are a sin. But they are not productive for me in living for Christ. It says in Hebrews 12:1 to lay aside the encumbrance that would keep us from following Christ.

In my endeavor to follow Christ, I ask in prayer what should I be doing at each opportunity. Last night I felt watching football would be good. And afterwards, still being out of it spiritually, (PS my team lost) I asked how does one become revived in the spirit?

I ask the question, do we revive the spirit by pampering the flesh?

1. Lay aside the things of dissipation.
2. Be revived according to the Word of God. Psalm 119:25, Psalm 119:32; Psalm 119:37, Psalm 119:40, Psalm 119:50, Psalm 119:107, Psalm 119:154, Psalm 119:156, Psalm 119:159
3. Review past studies; IE hygrade the Bible. Read and go over in the Bible what God has shown you in the past.
4. Matthew 4:4 We live because of what God speaks to us. Prayer and quietness before God allows us to hear Him, as we go over the Scriptures.
5. Put on a garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness. Isaiah 61:3
6. Humble your heart before God; Isaiah 57:15; James 4:6,7; James 4:8,9,10

2 Chronicles 16:9 God will show himself strong to those whose heart is completely His. God tests us and when our heart is pure He will show Himself strong on our behalf.

If I am able to revive my spirit by pampering the flesh, is it my spirit that is revived or is it my flesh/soul? If I am revived by pampering the flesh, am I doing works for God in my strength?

No comments:

Post a Comment