Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rejoice Always

"Rejoice always." 1 Thes 5:16

I remember a time when a Bible teacher said that he did not understand why we should rejoice in trials that James 1:2-4 talks about. And down through the years many people have ignored this Scripture. I don't think many people have an understanding of rejoicing always.

But here in 1 Thessalonians it says we are to rejoice always. James 1 says to give thanks in everything. With our heart set on this world we will be hard pressed to rejoice in disasters. 1 John 2:15 says that if we love the world the love of the Father is not in us. I have come to realize that I have a lot of love for the world. Life is good in America. Even if I lost my job and had to move to a smaller house life would still be good here on earth.

But the question before me is what am I doing for Jesus. And am I willing to pay the price to continue doing things for Jesus? I just had a $700 car repair bill. Was I rejoicing in that? No. But I now give thanks for the car and the money to pay for the car. Why did I not give thanks at first? Because I am holding on to my money and not looking to God for my supply!

I know when I stop and think about it that God is the source of my supply. But it is not from my gut reaction. That is where I want to live. I want to look instantly to God when life does not go just as I would want. Lord help me to live always with You as my source. Thank you Jesus. Thank you for helping and teaching me.

God wants us to live with an attitude of thanksgiving no matter what life brings. That does not mean we won't cry or feel pain. But it does mean that it is not of this world that our needs are met but it comes from the Kingdom of God.

"For me to live is Christ and to die is gain." Phil 1:21 I want to have this verse as a reality in my life. To live for Jesus and not for my personal peace and affluence.

No comments:

Post a Comment